Q2: How do I create this system of reciprocity with my local team to develop ‘Guanxi’ relationships to improve our communication (5 minutes 38 seconds)?
- You should focus on developing 'Guanxi' relationships with a core team that you elevate in authority
- Make a point to have informal, non-business engagements with your core team members
- They have to 'trust' you and feel that you 'respect' them before they would be willing to proactively share information with you
- Patience is necessary for developing 'Guanxi' relationships
- Elevate core leaders with acknowledgement (giving FACE). This is not a weakness.
- Acknowledgement and giving FACE begins the system of reciprocity, which is the foundation for developing 'trust'
- Ask for help, it's a good thing if you owe someone a favor (goodwill) because reciprocity is a continuous exchange of goodwill and favors. If you never own anyone anything, then there is no reciprocity exchanged and now 'Guanxi'
This question was asked during second webinar in the 'Mindset for China Business' series held live on August 8, 2018.